Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Moving Prep: Sewing the Stash & Busting the Scraps

We're moving (eeek, did I just mention that to all of blog-land?) in the near future (yes, more vague is better) and so while we're not moving far (good, keep up the vague), I'm still feeling like I need to get my fabric under control.

So I've tightened my belt buckle and am settling in to sew my stash and scraps.  Here's my plan:

Sewing the Stash
First, let me note that I am not buying any more fabric until after the move.  Who wants to buy more fabric with the fear of it getting lost in the mail or in a random moving box?  That is not a risk I am willing to take.

To be honest, I'm pretty horrible with sewing my stash.  My stash is in a stage where it features a lot of fat quarters, some half yards, fewer yard pieces and a very small collection of "backings."

My Joel Dewberry Notting Hill Strings quilt top is nearly all made from my stash (I ended up picking up two fat quarters to add some variety), including the borders. 



Do you notice the square of print in the two corners of the quilt?  



That's because I only had a yard of the teal and the quilt measured 45" long.  I was an inch short!  So I added the squares print to each long border to make up the difference.  I think I like the effect.  Do you?  What do you do in this situation?

And yes, another quilt top complete!  Now I need to piece a backing...


Busting the Scraps
So far I have three different scrap "projects" that I am "collecting" scraps:

1. Stitched in Color's / Bijou Lovely's Herringbone Blocks
(I've wanted this one to be a huge, gorgeous scrappy quilt so I've been collecting for at least a year).  They're currently nestled in a gallon sized plastic bag.

2.  2.5" squares for my on-going hexagon love.  I make them and then ultimately steal them for a pouch or other quilty purpose.  I keep these in a cute zippered pouch.


3. 2" squares for another Granny Square Quilt.  I loved how this one turned out, that I just simply need to make another!  So, that continues to move forward and are kept in another zipper pouch.

When I am cutting out fabric for a quilt and I end up with an errant 2" strip, or small square, I cut them up for these scrap projects.

So, what am I going to do in the interim?

First, I am going to finish more WIPs (Tula Pink Hexies, Marmalade HSTs, binding the HST sampler, etc). Then I am going to do one of the following:

1. An idea I got from Simple Girl Simple Life: Scrappy X Blocks

2. A rainbow strings quilt.  Organize my scraps into different colors and alternate the strings to create chevrons in different colors.

3.  Improv piecing?

4. Scrappy Dresdens?

Which one should I do?  What are your favorite scrap busting projects?

4 comments:

  1. I have a lot of FQs and charm packs. I started buying more 1 yd cuts just because of this dilemma. Good for you in typing up some quilt options for yourself. Hmmmm...do I have any ideas......the most scrap busting project I have done is a heart strings quilt. Wish I could think of more:(. How about the APQ low volume QAL??

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I have scraps I need to do something with, I inevitably make a crazy quilt. I love that the pieces don't have to be a specific size or shape to work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the added squares to your borders. It is perfect. I have been using up my stash this year and it is so much fun. I think that some of my scraps don't play nice together, so I like to make a doll quilt out of the leftovers from a particular quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this project! And even though it would have freaked me out to piece the border, I love that you did! Looks lovely.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I love to hear from you :)