Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Notting Hill Strings Progress

Lately I feel like I've been sharing a lot of "in progress" works and not too many finishes.  Today will be no different, but check back on Friday when I hope to share at least one, if not two, finishes!  I'm trying to be smart with my goals by sharing them and making sure they're attainable or reachable.


Notting Hill Progress

Now for the list of current WIPS
1. Green HST (half square triangle) or hourglass block quilt (fabric cut, ready for chain piecing)

2. HST Marmalade Quilt Top (no progress since the last post here)

3. Starflower QAL (all starflowers are sewn, but I need to ATTACK the hexagons and the machine piecing...which is intimidating me at the moment. Planning for courage this weekend.  Anyone else ever plan for courage?  I find it helps me be courageous.)

4. Bind the Granny Square Quilt

5. Bind the HST Sampler Quilt

6. Notting Hill Strings Quilt (a quick quilt that will inevitably need a sister for gifts)



I've done an alteration to the typical strings quilts you see (like the one here, from Amy Smart of Diary of a Quilter) where I've kept two of the strings consistent through-out the whole quilt.  The center string is a 2" Kona white strip with a 3" Joel Dewberry print next to it.  The remainder of the strings are random in both width and order.

My husband says that this is quilt is his favorite.



My only regret is not having more of the floral print in my stash.  I have been trying (and failing) to sew my stash and with this project I am sticking to my guns!

So do you think I can have at least one finish for you on Friday?  Hint, I think I'll be pulling out my wonder clips to help me!

17 comments:

  1. Only six WIPs?? You're doing great! It does feel great to finish doesn't it! I love your strings! Looking forward to seeing you on Friday. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. i've always loved string quilts and the colors are just gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the Joel Dewberry fabric you're using in you string quilt. I finally just piled all my WIPs into big baskets and my goal is to pull one out each week and finish it. We'll see how that goes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A few weeks ago I felt like you-lots of WIPS going and no finishes, now I am on the finishing side and it feels great. You will be there soon I am sure!! Love the strings :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. The strings are looking great! I'm impressed at your many WIPs:-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your Notting Hill Strings quilt is looking wonderful. I hope you have time for more sewing during the week.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello Kate,

    Such lovely greens in the strings quilt! I am using mainly reds and blues at the moment and am looking forward to doing a green quilt next.

    Love from England,
    Muv

    ReplyDelete
  8. beautiful and I like the alteration you made, it really make the squares pop!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the colours on this, it looks great. And I just had a browse through your other WIPs and although they're all beautiful, the koala tops them all! What a great photo of him.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the color scheme. I've been collecting the same colors but haven't started anything with them yet.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I like the colors. Hopefully, this will be finished on Friday. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love it! These colors are great Kate. Want to try one of these myself. Beautiful:)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I really like the consistency of the two strings in your blocks -- it ties the whole quilt together. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ohhhhh, I love this quilt. The colors are gorgeous, and I'm a huge fan of string piecing. Wonderful work!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great color and fabric choice. I really like the quilt design. Barbora

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is so beautiful! I love the 3 inch piece of consistent fabric against the white string.

    Thanks so much for sharing at Needle and Thread Thursday!

    :) Kelly @ My Quilt Infatuation

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I love to hear from you :)