Monday, March 11, 2013

Conversion Rates: Kentucky Derby


Like most everyone, I have several works in progress at various stages of development.  Most start out the same way; I tend to find pieces of fabric that I love, and then spend the next several months gathering coordinating prints until I have enough for a quilt.

This quilt, Kentucky Derby as I call it, started when I found the horse print in a remnant section.  As soon as I saw it, I thought of one of my sister in laws.  She trains with horses and even competes in tournaments.

While reading through some online quilt blogs, I came across this star block from A Quilting Life.  It's great tutorial, except it was the wrong size of block.  I wanted to use larger center squares to highlight the horses.  So I figured I could easily convert it to fit a 7" center square, it couldn't be that hard, I thought.  And then this happened...


My measurements were off and I ended up with a nice 1-1/2" gap all the way around the square.  Instead of trying to cut down the HST to fit the center block, I chose to add a nice contrasting border.  My husband suggested the navy and it works wonderfully!


Now I have to decide, should I have navy borders on all of my blocks?  Or should I alternate navy borders with yellow star points, and yellow borders with navy star points?

Also, thank you for all of the comments at the give-away.  The input is greatly appreciated as I continue to develop Quarter Mile Quilts and myself. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! I love to hear from you :)