Tuesday, August 28, 2018

PHXMQG Charity Quilts Progress

This year I’ve volunteered to be the liaison with one of the organizations suggested by fellow PHXMQG (Phoenix Modern Quilt Guild) guild members: One*n*Ten. They serve LGBTQ youth in a variety of ways to “enhance their lives by providing empowering social and service programs that promote self‐expression, self‐acceptance, leadership development and healthy life choices.”  This includes providing assistance through their housing program. You can learn more about them at their website (link here: http://onenten.org/about-one-n-ten/). One*n*Ten has requested twin sized quilts that would go to LGBTQ youth in need.
As part of this need for twin sized quilts, I’ve been sharing some easy to do twin sized quilts throughout the year. (Thanks again for the idea Bonnie!) I’m hoping this will gently nudge a few of my fellow members to make a quilt on their own! In April's meeting, I shared a quilt made using Jeni Baker’s Scrappy Star tutorial (see link here: http://www.incolororder.com/2013/04/scrappy-star-quilt-tutorial.html). Once I got the fabric cut, it only took me a few hours to put together! I will be adding about 10” of the grey solid to the top and bottom to lengthen it to be a true twin sized quilt.

I am putting together twin sized quilts for one of our local charities (One*n*ten). I provided kits for the 14.5" log cabin blocks at the last several meetings. The center is a 2.5” solid.  Then I added 2.5" wide low volume white or off white fabrics with a variety of solids (pastels, jewel tones, whatever I have on hand). Below are pictures of in progress quilts. These are currently with guild members who are generously donating their quilting skills. Hope to have finished quilts next month!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! I love to hear from you :)