Monday, July 30, 2018

Where I've Been

So it's been quiet over here since about April of 2016... Then in June 2016 I had my first son who, had an undiagnosed birth defect called Congenic Diaphragmatic Hernia (CDH).  He basically had a hole in his diaphragm which allowed his "guts" to enter into rib cage and impede his left lung.  We subsequently spent 6 weeks in the NICU, where he had surgery and was described as a phenomenon.  My husband and I take "phenomenon" and equate it as a miracle.  We were so blessed and fortunate.  After the NICU, we went through several months of recovery.  We were able to take him off supplemental oxygen which is great and have an NG tube removed.



Then in April 2017 I found out I was pregnant with baby no. 2.  We went through several additional scans and determined that baby girl did NOT have the same condition as her older brother.

Then in September 2017 we learned that our son had re-herniated and needed surgery.  After what felt like an eternity, he had surgery end of November 2017.

Then in December 2017 our healthy daughter was born (the kids officially being 17 months apart in age) and thus began the craziness of two kids under the age of two.



Long story short, it's been quite a crazy two years.




All of this meant that my quilting hobby slowed. Thankfully, I had a husband and support team who knew that quilting would help me cope.  I'll share some highlights over the next several weeks.


I'm now back at work and know that my quilting will continue to be slow. And I'm ok with that :)

1 comment:

  1. I had a daughter 5 1/2 weeks early, Hyaline Membrane Disease, didn’t come home for 18 days (that was in 1975), then several trips for follow-ups with a pediatric unit. Had my second daughter 17 months later, with a slight heart murmur. Both girls are adults, very healthy, best of friends, and have excelled in everything they do (43 and 42 now) you will look back on these days and marvel at how you got through it. And yes, I did quilting, knitting, and other crafts for “me” to get a break. All water under the bridge. Good for your friends to encourage you to take some time for yourself. It is SO important to give you a break, to gain perspective, and appreciate all that you have. Keep quilting! Jill in Calgary/Phoenix

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I love to hear from you :)